Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Plans are the Future, Adversity is Today

As I said a couple of posts ago, the plans that you have say a great deal about you. They speak of the ideal "you," the "you" that you want to be in the future, the "you" that you desire and are steering your ship towards. To know that about yourself and about those important to you is to know much. It isn't the entire picture, however.

If you want to know who you are right now instead of where you are headed, watch how you react to unexpected adversity. What do you do when the car breaks down? When your kids throw a tantrum in public? When it rains on all your Memorial Day weekend plans? When your boss tells you no? When your family member disappoints you? There's no time in those circumstances to adjust to the perfect vision of "you," to what you view as an acceptable response on which to judge you; generally, the reaction is a bright spotlight directly into the soul.

Your actions in those instances speak to what you believe in. They reveal the strength or weakness of your faith, how central you see yourself in the grand scheme of the world, and the worth you ascribe to those around you. Do you demand comfort? Are you entitled or determined? Are you a victim or a battler? Are you servant-hearted or demanding servants? Is your perspective immediate or eternal?

The Psalms are full of David's response to unexpected adversity and reveal why he is called a "man after God's own heart." In the midst of great trials, he has this to say:

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and give praise." (57:7)

"From the end of the earth I will cry to you, 
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (61:2)

"He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be greatly moved." (62:2)

"I shall not be greatly moved," says David. God is God, and I am me. Knowing that, he is ready for the worst, for he will not be "moved" from that faith.

Plans are great. Plans are essential. But plans allow for the best of you. They assume a "best-case scenario." Unexpected adversity allows for no such luxury. Absent of a plan, it reveals exactly who and what you are - today.

If you're anything like me, it's a reminder of just how far I have to go to reach the "me" in those pie-in-the-sky visions for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment