Thursday, May 30, 2013

May Review

I committed to reporting out on my progress of 3 major goals for 2013 at the end of every month. Here are my stats for May:

Goal 1: Read 25 books.
Two books down in May. I'm at 11 for the year. The Chronicles of Narnia series continues to enchant me. C.S. Lewis is one smart dude (see more of his wisdom in this month's quotes).

Goal 2: Write 75 blog posts.
This is post #7 for the month. I'm now at 34 for the year. My favorite is probably the first for the month, "My Fears, My Fight." I've got ideas written down for 3-4 more that I thought might get written this month, but it just didn't happen. It's been too nice outside, with too many good people to see on weekends. No regrets. Those posts will get written in June.

Goal 3: Write 25 letters.
I wrote 2 more, albeit both in the last week of the month. I am most thankful for the pressure of this goal, as I clearly wouldn't do it if I didn't feel the pressure to stay on pace each month. The sense of urgency usually gets me going, and each letter produces a great personal reward. I hope the same is true for those receiving the letters. Nine down for 2013.

Reflections:
The month began with some occupational uncertainty that has all been firmed up since then. I'm thankful for the opportunity to process some thinking on a difficult situation, which is never really relevant until one finds themself in a tenuous position. Despite a fairly busy month, I plugged along on my goals. It certainly wasn't my best reading or writing month, but I stayed on track.

Memorable Quotes from the Month:

  • "God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." - C.S. Lewis
  • "There is no better test of growth than that a man desires God because he is God." - Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  • "The mark of Friendship is not that help will be given when the pinch comes (of course it will) but that, having been given, it makes no difference at all." - C.S. Lewis
  • "Writing became the lever of my thinking and the outlet of my feelings. If I didn't pull the lever, the wheel of thinking did not turn. It jerked and squeaked and halted. But once a pen was in hand, or a keyboard, the fog began to clear and the wheel of thought began to spin with clarity and insight." - John Piper
  • "I think each village was meant to feel pity for its own sick and poor whom it can help and I doubt if it is the duty of any private person to fix his mind on ills which he cannot help. This may even become an escape from teh works of charity we really can do to those we know. God may call any one of us to repsond to some far away problem or support those who have been so called. But we are finite and he will not call us everywhere or to support every worthy cause. And real needs are not far from us." - C.S. Lewis
  • "It's not mutually exclusive to be confident and humble; to be skeptical and eager to learn." - Jon Lovett
Interesting links:
June will be busy, but different busy. Umpiring, basketball camp, and AP training are all on the docket. It's going to be a good month.

No comments:

Post a Comment