Tuesday, May 14, 2013

If You Really Want to Know a Person. . .

So, what are your plans?

It's a simple, common question. We ask it about the weekend, about the summer, and about careers. We ask it about relationships, about gardening, about workouts, and about parenting. We ask it while staring at the menu in a restaurant with friends. What's your plan?

It's a simple, common question, but make no mistake - it is no throw-away question. It is not there to pass the time or create banter. If you ask it, listen. Really listen. If you do, you'll discover much about the one asked. If it's you who's asked, make it count. Answer wisely.

I recently finished reading John Steinbeck's Journal of a Novel: The East of Eden Letters. While writing his masterpiece (his words, and mine as well) novel East of Eden, he warmed up to his writing each day by writing a letter to his friend. Most days he wrote about the book, about his own life, and whatever thoughts he had about people and life and living. It's full of great stuff. One quote that stood out to me is this:

"I am going to set down Adam's [a major character] plans for his life. The fact that he isn't going to get even one of them is no emphasis whatever. Plans are real things and not experience. A rich life is rich in plans. If they don't come off, they are still a little bit realized. . . I believe too that if you can't know a man's plans, you know more about him than you can in any other way. Plans are daydreaming and this is an absolute measure of a man."

And I find great truth here. My wife's plans for the garden this year say something about her. When my dad talks about his next building plans in his wood shop, he speaks of something real and living inside him. My family's vacation plans I believe said a lot about our priorities this Spring Break. If you're planning a 5k, a 401k, or to simply be okay tomorrow, those plans speak volumes about you, whether they come to fruition or not.

This is the season for plans. High school and college graduates all over are making plans and are being asked about them. Graduates - don't take this lightly. If you feel pressure, you should. These plans matter. They say something about you, whether you go all the way through with them or not. Are you planning big, or comfortably? Are your plans for you, or you +1? Do your plans address your passions or your necessities? Do you want play or get paid? Or both?

So what are my plans? I plan to get more core strength so as not to hurt my back as often. I plan to get on RABGRAI this summer with a good friend of mine for a couple of days. I plan to coach basketball for at least one more year. I plan to read, pray, write, and work in my yard tomorrow on my day off. I plan to host many friends at our house this summer. I plan to teach high school English as long as I believe in it, and I plan to leave when my worldview is no longer welcome. I plan to write a book. And then ten more. I plan to teach my kids about basketball, books, and playing the piano. I plan to write 3 letters this month and mail them in a timely fashion. I plan to eat birthday cake this weekend. I plan to love my wife as well as I know how for the rest of my life.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord." Yes, that's true. But that does not absolve us from making passionate, prayerful plans ourselves. And while you're at it, ask the people important to you what their plans are as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment