Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Scared of Success

The minor prophets don't merely point out errors; they also point to what success should look like. In those books are several goals, the completion of which offers joy, purpose, and a God-centered life. For instance:

1. Habakkuk challenges us to rejoice in all circumstances:
"Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail, 
And the fields yield no food. . .
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation." (3:17-18)

2. Zecharia demands that we become the one others come to:
"In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you." (8:23)

3. Later in Zecharia, we are told that because there are things worth fighting for, we should strive to be great warriors:
"They shall be like mighty men,
Who tread down their enemies
In the mire of the streets in the battle.
They shall fight because the Lord is with them." (10:5)

4. Malachi tells us to come to God, so that we might be purified:
"For He is like a refiner's fire
And like launderer's soap.
He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver;
He will purify the sons of Levi,
And purge them as gold and silver,
That they may offer to the Lord
An offering in righteousness." (3:2-3)

These are all great goals to have. My problem, and it seems the problem of many other Christians, is that thought these seem like good ideas, we're scared to death of them being true. We're simply not sure they are worth the cost. Rejoice in all things? Then I lose my right to complain, one of my favorite things to do, especially with others. It's an admonition that the world doesn't exist for my personal comfort, and that's not a reality that's easy to face. Become the one others seek? But I'm a busy guy. If others come to me, I lose my time, my freedom, my privacy. Do I really want to be sought out? And what about being a mighty warrior? Then it's my job to fight, and battles are hard. Warriors are called to action, not words or thoughts; warriors are in harm's way. And purification? I kind of like some of my imperfections. I want to be good. But pure? Refined? Sounds like a lot of work, really.

And on and on it goes in my head. I read these verses and get fired up to be all I can be, to go chase the success that is so clearly laid out for me. But I'm scared to death what that success may cost me. And ultimately, that reveals a lack of faith. Either I believe God, that this is what I was made for, that these goals will produce in my life joy and a closeness to God that will trump all other desires, or I like where I'm at and make myself into a god.

Sometimes you've got to pretend you believe something, through all the doubt, until you're actually convinced. I believe in God more than I believe in my own fear. It's time to act like it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to start reading a new book by Pastor Steven Furtick - "Greater". It was the tagline that got me: "Dream bigger. Start smaller." I think I can do that. Sounds like you can too.

    ReplyDelete