Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Out of Respect

Throughout my youth, one of the people I respected the most was my grandfather. Because of that, I acted differently around him than I would have otherwise; I wanted to be better around him. I talked less and listened more, becoming less self-centered, less self-righteous, less likely to screw around or act foolishly. Don't get me wrong, we had a ton of fun together. I just deferred to him and his wishes, especially in his house. Out of respect, I put my best foot forward.

The same is true for many other people I've held in a high regard throughout my lifetime, as I'm sure is the case for many of you. This isn't a shocking revelation; in fact, it's downright commonplace. It's what people do. To show respect and gain some back from others, we dress well, speak well, and act well. We behave better than we actually are, often because we believe we are better when we're in their presence. That's why they have our respect.

Is the same true about God?

I ask this question as the "Come as you are" culture seems to be sweeping churches of all denominations. In my own church, I hear the phrase, "God loves you just the way you are" seemingly several times each Sunday. And it's true, God does love me and you and our neighbor just the way we are, and it's true that we can worship God whenever, dressed however, in whatever manner we deem appropriate. Those are all true. But should we want to continue to be "just as you are" for very long?

God addressed this issue in Malachi:
"A son honors his father,
And a servant his master.
If then I am the Father,
Where is My honor?
And if I am a Master,
Where is My reverence?" (1:6)

Where indeed? If we act better around our parents and grandparents and bosses and future employers and in-laws because we respect them and because they deserve it, shouldn't we want to do the same for God? Shouldn't I want to be better with God than what I was yesterday?

Yes, come as you are. Come hip and trendy and comfortable. But don't stay that way. If not for yourself, then out of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment