Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"Other" Relationships

The minor prophets seem mostly concerned with the inability of God's people to spend any concerted attention towards God, instead making a god of themselves and dealing with the pain and shame of that choice. However, another reason a focus on self is so dangerous is because it ignores or sacrifices others around us.

God instead demands that we see what we can do for others. Read the following calls to action from Zechariah:
"Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother.
Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless,
The alien or the poor.
Let none of you plan evil in his heart against his brother." (7:9-10)

"'Speak each man the truth to his neighbor;
Give judgment in your gates for truth, justice, and peace;
Let none of you think evil in your heart against your neighbor;
And do not love a false oath.
For all these are things that I hate,'
Says the Lord.'" (8:16-17)

Every line here speaks of a way to behave around others. Carefully, line by line, the prophet indicates that a true focus on God will lead to a desire to do good to others. Our natural inclination is not this way. But the command is there.

The other statement about other people made in the minor prophets, however, is much different. While we are called to do what we can and focus on others, we must not rely on them. They are not perfect, they will let us down, and they cannot save our souls. They improve our life; they do not fulfill it. Writes Micah:

"Do not trust in a friend;
Do not put your confidence in a companion;
Guard the doors of your mouth
From her who lies in your bosom.
For son dishonors father,
Daughter rises against her mother,
Daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
A man's enemies are the men of his own household.
Therefore I will look to the Lord;
I will wait for the God of my salvation;
My God will hear me." (7:5-7)

This is not a fun passage to read, but it rings true. Once I finally finished grad school, I spent much of my victory lap on spending time with people because I know how much better my life is with good people in it. However, every good person in my life that I can think of has at one time or another let me down in some way. Somewhere along the line I either expected them to be perfect, expected them to fulfill my every desire, or expected them to love me flawlessly and unconditionally. In short, I expected them to be God. And they're not. None of them. I love them and am thrilled to be readjusting my time and my priorities to break more bread with people. But they will not save me.

Be careful what you ask of others. Build relationships, do what you can for them, and live life well with them. Fulfill God's commands. But there is only one place to look for salvation, truth, and fulfillment. If you don't look there, your "other" relationships will suffer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment