Sunday, March 27, 2011

Why Pray?

Prayer is still a huge mystery to me. I took a summer back when I lived in Nebraska (no grad school + no kids = free time) and read about as much as I could on prayer to hopefully discover some answers. I came to a better understanding and unearthed a few nuggets of wisdom, but I've pretty much forgotten a lot of it. I'm still confused as ever.

One question I've always had is, Why? Seriously, what's the point? A few facts strung together really puzzle me:
  • God is omnipotent.
  • God knows everything that will happen before it does.
  • God is smarter than me.
If all that is true, why I am asking for anything? What's my role here? God knows what He wants and has the power to do what He wants. I'm a fallen human with a flawed perspective. I'm supposed to tell God to change His mind because I said so? Or do what He already decided He was going to do? Really? God needs a reminder? God needs me to bring to His attention world poverty and my friend's broken marriage and my weakness with pride? It doesn't seem to add up.

There are more answers than what I'll provide here, Biblically-sound and logical and motivating answers. I hope to provide some of these types of answers in future blog posts. What I have now, though, is an answer that my experience of praying big has taught me this month.

Experience tells me that God doesn't need all that. I do. Prayer is for me. What praying big has done for me this month is daily remind me that I'm not God. I need that reminder. If I pray, I remember that there's a lot I can't control and that I'm not the center of the universe. My problems and "needs" look minuscule. There is a whole huge world out there, and my day is barely a speck of dust in the wind. It gets my mind right where it should be - on the Omnipotent One who actually has the power to do big things.

Also, it keeps me from getting depressed. I think anyone, myself included, is really susceptible to depression if they focus on themselves too much. None of our lives are perfect, and they never will be. We'll never be talented enough, pretty enough, rich enough, or in love enough. It just won't ever happen. Our lives can always get better. When I focus on myself, I see where I fall short. I see what's wrong with my life, and I feel helpless about that. When I pray big, especially for other people, I want something deeply for somebody else. I feel helpful. I feel like we're in this together - me, them, and God - and someday we're going to feel pretty dang good about this because we're going to witness a miracle happening. I smile and think about a better life for the object of my prayer. I smile and think about the power and love of God. I avoid focusing on myself, and I find great joy.

God doesn't need prayer; I do. And I'm thankful for that lesson this month.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. I needed to hear this. I have that same thought about prayer all the time... and I always need to be reminded to stop focusing on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, the dilemma of free will vs destiny or God's Plan. Very confusing. I'm more of a free will man, myself. lift off on three, on three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or perhaps we can have it both ways: we have the freedom to choose, and God knows what that choice will be.

    ReplyDelete