Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Bold

When I first came back from college, I came back brilliant. Armed with the knowledge of a month or two's worth of higher education, I held all the answers to the world's great questions. Fortunately for all around me, I was eager to share my new knowledge as well, wasting no opportunity to offer enlightenment.

I hear this is somewhat common for those just entering their first inkling of adulthood - this profound understanding of anything they've heard one lecture or read one article about. That was me. The world clearly needed me after my extensive reading: I knew everything there was to know about God, I knew how to cure all the ills in the education system, and I was a bit shocked that more people weren't asking me for how to fix sociological problems as well. I could tell you what to eat, how to live mentally and physically healthy, how to properly train athletes, and reading strategies that I knew would work for every kid if only employed properly. The world would soon recognize where to come for the answers; I was armed and ready.

I was bold.

Obviously I look back on this foolishness of mine and ashamedly chuckle. I had no business being bold about this to anyone who had lived a mere six months in any semblance of the real world, with real people, living real life away from the hallowed confines of a college campus. That does not mean, however, that my error was in being bold.

We are all bold.

In Acts 4, John and Peter are in front of a hostile crowd being asked to account for their recent gospel-spreading actions. Their speaking led to this response in verse 13:

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And the recognized that they had been with Jesus."

Most of us are bold about something. Speaking simply, clearly, and confidently, usually our boldness reveals a great passion (if not experience or education) and often speaks of our priorities. Some people boldly proclaim their own rights. Others are bold about their own accomplishments. Politics brings out the bold in many avenues, particularly those of the social media variety. I find that in my line of work many are bold about what the world owes their children. And I never cease to be amazed at how many people boldly proclaim the 3-second rule in basketball.

This begs the question: about what are you bold? And who or what does it say you've been around? For not only does your boldness proclaim your priorities, it also reveals your surroundings. What has been influencing your boldness? A bunch of people who agree with you about everything? Radio political personalities? Media you are consuming? A book your reading? The Book?

It was clear who John and Peter had been with. No one was confused about the source of their bold outbursts. They were no new converts to the university life. No, their proclamations said much more than that.

It is doubtful you or I will be able to refrain from being bold this week. Nor should we. But we must accept that our boldness will say something distinct about us; and if we don't like that message, perhaps we are in need of better Company.


No comments:

Post a Comment