Thursday, May 26, 2011

Notes: Dealing with Foolish/Frustrating People

1. Paul offers this advice in 2 Timothy 2:23-4:
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you konw they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful."

If you want to be a leader, or you want to be effective, you've got to keep yourself from getting caught up in silly arguments. The other individual might be completely wrong, but who cares? They're foolish. More people will listen to your message (which, for Christians, better be Christ's message) if you can keep from engaging with foolish people.

2. In the same letter to Timothy, Paul later writes this:
"At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength. . . The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom." (4:16-18)

Paul here is telling a story about being treated poorly, and in the story he is passionately focused on God, not his oppressors. They are barely in the story. The only thing he says about them is "May it not be held against them." I've told a lot of stories about a lot of hard times. I usually say more than this about those I've pereceived have wronged me. Paul's approach is probably better.

3. If you like satire, this article (Nation Down to Last Hundred Grownups) is for you. If nothing else, this will remind you that the world is full of difficult people. Hopefully you and I can work hard to continue this "dying" breed mentioned in the article.

2 comments:

  1. My guess is that the vast majority of the 104 remaining grownups is composed of hard working farmers and ranchers.

    ReplyDelete