Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Misreading the Character List

I realized the other day that I've probably been reading the Bible wrong for much of my life.

All reading of the Bible is good reading, but I've limited my understanding by coming to a fundamental misunderstanding of the character list. Here I am, a teacher of literature, and I've done myself a disservice by ignoring textual principles as a reader.

Here's the problem: my main goal for reading the Bible through much of my life has been to make my life better. As the Sovereign Lord of the Universe, I figured God had a lot of good stuff to say about how to live well. I looked for directions to take my life and answers to all of the immediate issues plaguing my mind. And that's where I got it all wrong.

I read this quote from the blog "Forward Progress" the other day:
"Often the Bible has been called an instruction manual for life. That's not true. . . (If it were), it's a bit like trying to piece together a model airplane using the picture on the box. . . The Bible is the means by which we might know God in Christ, not the details of our own lives. God is the main character of the Bible; not me." (my emphasis added)

And there it is, my great error. I couldn't even get the main character of the text right. I was reading, studying, analyzing, all to figure out the depths of a fairly minor character (myself). That's not what it was written for. The people who developed my truck's manual weren't hoping that I would figure out what to eat for supper tonight while reading about routine maintenance. And God's main goal in the Bible wasn't trying to teach me what career to pursue or what my summer plans should be; it was to reveal as much about Himself as possible.

I remember distinctly having a conversation with a friend in which I wished that each day I could walk to the mailbox and pick up a letter from God with the instructions for the day. No matter how crazy or sacrificial, I claimed I'd be willing to follow them. I just wanted Him to provide clear direction. I've wished that for a lot of years. But that letter never comes, nor will it. And that's the beauty. Writes Kelly: "He's forcing us to talk and listen. To even argue sometimes. But to know Him rather than just His plan."

My career path won't make or break God's plan. Whatever I choose to do, He can use. But lacking a knowledge and love of the real God might break me. In order to avoid that, I've got to remember who the Bible is about.

3 comments:

  1. I will always read with a friend or friends just to make sure that im not missing anything, it's hard to stay focused and acually read between the lines, especially when your trying to do the geneologys in genisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd venture to say that reading the lines is way more important than reading between the lines. There is only one question to begin with: what does this passage tell me about God? Too many times, I begin with, "What does this passage tell me about my life?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I remember distinctly having a conversation with a friend in which I wished that each day I could walk to the mailbox and pick up a letter from God with the instructions for the day. No matter how crazy or sacrificial, I claimed I'd be willing to follow them. I just wanted Him to provide clear direction. I've wished that for a lot of years. But that letter never comes, nor will it. And that's the beauty."

    I'm still waiting for God to talk to me in person and it never happens. It's almost like there's no God or something... It shouldn't be too much to ask for someone who is all powerful, all knowing and all present.

    ReplyDelete