Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Antidote for Cranky

I came across an interesting blog today from the Desiring God website that provides great insight for fighting crankiness. That strategy is simple, yet it seems so effective: praise.

One quote in particular stood out to me: "When our mouths are empty of praise for others, it is probably because our hearts are full of love for self." I have speculated in blog posts this month that a focus on self and the unmet expectations that arise from a focus only on self leads to a majority of the anger and frustration and joy-killing attitude we experience. It stands to reason, then, that if I am focused on praising others, I will lose some of my self-centeredness.

If I think about it, I don't think I've ever been in a bad mood when praising someone/something. Whether it's Fazoli's breadsticks, inspiring man-to-man defense, a talented musician, or a great teacher I've encountered, whenever I lavish praise on them I become immediately happy. And that joy has very little to do with me. It's simply an expression of gratitude for the good things in life that God has provided. To praise is to be thankful; to be thankful is to be content.

Some criticize a God who asks to be praised. How foolish. To recognize and celebrate the goodness of God is to bask in great joy. It's impossible to complain when embracing beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment