Sunday, January 10, 2010

A story about a forest

In my last post, I discussed what professional story I was living. The basic premise from Miller's book that I've been writing about is that the story one is living is directly linked to what that individual wants. Story = a character who wants something and overcomes obstacles to get it. I bemoaned the murkiness of my professional story. This morning I discovered a larger problem.

Although I struggle to state what I want professionally, I've got no problem stating what I want in other areas of my life. I know I want spiritual growth (even though my fight to obtain it seems weak at times). I want to spend time with my family. I want personal, emotional, and spiritual health. I want fun. I want UNI to win basketball games. These aren't necessarily concrete, but I at least know what I'm after.

My problem lies in the fact that I really haven't spent a great deal of time thinking about what I want for other people. This morning in church our pastor was teaching about the core beliefs and actions of our church. There were clear statements regarding what our church wanted for the people we come in contact with.

I know, I know: some of you unbelievers are tired of Christians wanting to evangelize. Why can't they just believe what they want to believe and leave me out of it? Here's the thing, though - if I see someone burning to death, and I have the power to save them, I'm going to save them. I want them to have life. It's not altruistic - it's human nature. A true Christian's motivation for evangelizing is to give unbelievers life (and I apologize for all of those "Christians" whose goal in evangelizing has been to prove that they're right). I'm a lukewarm Christian if I don't want life for you and don't want to keep you from pain and suffering. But that's another topic for another day.

For me, though, I realized that perhaps I am a lukewarm Christian in this area. I haven't spent a great deal of time thinking about what I desperately want for others, what I'll fight for and overcome obstacles and endure hardships to obtain for others. I spend a lot of time on me. But in this story that I'm trying to live (and live better), I've got to want life-transforming truth for others if I am who I say I am. I've got to care about them having life, not just be mildly interested in the daily anecdotes of those who bother to talk to me first or who are interested in complimenting me.

Miller writes in Million Miles that I am "a tree in a story about a forest, and it's arrogant of me to believe any differently. And the story of the forest is better than the story of the tree." (198) If my sub-plot in this larger narrative about a forest is going to turn out well, I better get in my head what I want for the trees around me. Even the ones I don't like.

If I'm not fighting to get something I want for others, my story will likely be of no eternal consequence: just another life, lived for comfort and lived for self. I've read that story too many times.

***Note: I know some of you have indicated the site wouldn't let you post a comment. I think I fixed the problem. All readers should be able to post any comments they have. Please, post away.

7 comments:

  1. Just read something relevant to the above post from C.S. Lewis and wanted to include it here:

    "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would strongly be tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." (The Weight of Glory, 14-15)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the goal of "good" Christians to evangelize? Did Christ evangelize during his time on earth? Two pretty general statements, and to look at the second one you might call me pretty ignorant. (You would be correct!!) However, I'm not sure of the answers to those questions when reading the Bible. I think Christ wanted his disciples to spread his word, but Christ asks only that we have faith in him as the truth. Which as Christians, I believe we should do that, and spread his word, but after that it is up to the individual to build a relationship. Plant the seed, and the tree will grow. How it survives and how tall it grows is left up to many factors (Choices). So,is the health of the forest left up to Christ? Or, does the overall health of the forest depend solely on the strongest tree in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a few thoughts to think about...

    When you say "I've got to care about them having life..." are you solely referring to Christian life? Would you say that those who do not believe in Christ have any less of a life than those that do believe? Can you show me proof?

    Can one care for and nurture others without Christ in their lives? Is it any less empathetic?

    Is my "life transforming truth" as I see things going to lead me down a path different than yours based solely on a belief (or non-belief) in a higher power when it comes to my empathy for others?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robby I think says it better than I do, and I could have totally missed his point, but I like his questions. Is it our job to worry about the forest around us? Whether we believe in the same things or not? When I questioned if Jesus was an evangelist or not.... Understand, I know he taught, and I know he cared wanted to share his teachings with his disciples... But, there is a story in the Bible where he performs a miracle, and as the people disperse he tells them to not tell anyone of the miracle performed, but to just believe in him and what he did...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, although our thought patterns may be the same, we are not necessarily getting to the same point. I do see where you are coming from and appreciate the humility in it.

    I'm the black sheep of the Wandering blog, I'm atheist. Which I believe, besides our friendship, is the reason Shannon appreciates my participation. It's a view different than his own to which he can learn/adapt his own beliefs, helping to make his convictions stronger or even altering them on occasion.

    Thanks for the props and thanks for your comments, this is the best part of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, guys, I can't wait to get into this a little bit in my next post. I'm drowning in work tonight, but there will be a post forthcoming in response. Great commentary.

    ReplyDelete