Sunday, January 17, 2010

Evangelism: A Response

My last post created some great questions, and I'd like to address my stance on those here. First, I'd like to clarify the last post a bit. My main message wasn't that I believe I need to evangelize more (though I understand that it looks like that after reading). The realization I had come to is that I simply wasn't thinking enough about what I want for others; I had too much focus on self, and to use a metaphor from the last post, I realized I've been ignoring the forest for the most part. I don't want my story to only have one character, and I want to participate in the larger story about the forest.

However, I'm glad evangelism came up, and I'm glad I got asked some direct questions. The questions I'll address include:
1. Is the goal of "good" Christians to evangelize? Did Christ evangelize while on Earth? Is it our job to worry about the forest?
2. When you say, "I've got to care about them having life. . ." are you solely referring to Christian life? Do those who do not believe in Christ have any less of a life than those that do believe?
3. Can one care for and nurture others without Christ in their lives?

Here are some of my thoughts:
I believe it is absolutely essential for Christians to worry about the forest. Christ's Great Commission is to go out and make disciples of all nations (see end of both Matthew and Mark). Christ's example was that of huge empathy for all people, believers or not. However, when you look at his service and help for non-believers, his goal was always to give them eternal life, not just help. I'm thinking here about the prostitute at the well, Zacheus, a couple of blind guys, a woman getting stoned to death. He didn't just help; he taught and helped. One comment from the last post mentioned that Christ often told people to keep a miracle quiet. His goal in the miracle, though, was to "evangelize." And my reading of the New Testament leads me to believe that Christ didn't believe he would be able to work as effectively if word got out too early of some of his miracles. He had a plan, he had timing, and he stuck to it.

Having said that, I believe the goal for Christians in helping others shouldn't be to try to trick them or bribe them into agreeing with us about a deity. Christ's example was love for all and empathy for all. Helping others is about representing Christ: unconditional love for the welfare of others. And I don't think it's the responsibility of a "good" Christian (whatever that is) to help others. I believe a mature Christian wants to help others and is naturally concerned with their welfare at all times, not just when their need for help is obvious. Here is where I believe I'm more immature at this stage of my life. This is what I spoke of wanting to work on in my last post.

In terms of non-believers, here's what I'll say. First, I don't believe non-believers have less of a life than believers. I believe they have less of a life than they could if they were believers. I don't believe their life is less important; I just believe Christ would fill that life in a way that a non-believer can't even conceive.

If I care about you, I want the best for you. I believe the best for you is a relationship with Christ. I believe Nutty Bars make my life better; therefore, I suggest to others that they might enjoy Nutty Bars. I believe running is a great activity, so I suggest that to others. I believe UNI is a great school (undergrad, anyway), so I tell people that. It's not a desire to be right; it's a desire to share joy. And I have found no greater joy in my life than Christ.

Also, this isn't a belief for me. I know it in the core of my being. That's a convenient thing to say, but I don't know how else to explain it. I don't believe that research suggests, or history has shown, or all signs point to, or my parents taught me that. . . I am as sure about the existence of God as I am that if I drop something, it will fall to the ground. I believe winter sucks. I believe President Obama was the best choice for president last fall, and I believe he's screwed up a lot so far. I believe Diet Coke is better than Diet Pepsi, and I believe most movies with Will Ferrell (exception: Stranger than Fiction) are not funny at all. But Christ I know. And I want that joy for everybody.

By evangelizing, I don't mean I'm desperate to tell you my faith story every time I see you or that I've got to have a powerpoint presentation or a 5 step plan ready to present every time I'm with non-believers. When I look at my friends, I bet at least 1/2 are non-believers. Most, I think, would say that I'm not abrasive about my faith. I also hope, however, that most would say they know it's important to me. I try to live my life in a way that those around me know what I believe and know how that affects me. I should be representing Christ in all that I do. I want my life to sell people on Christ. Is that enough? Am I doing my job as a Christian? I don't know. But at this point, that's my approach. Love, help, exhibit patience and joy and passion, and make sure those around me know where all of that comes from.

Can non-believers have empathy? Can they love and help and have patience and joy and passion? Absolutely. They can lead inspiring lives. But I believe they would have infinitely more of all those things if Christ were in their lives, and I believe their eternal fate is on the line. And I care about their eternal fate. If I don't, I'm not sure I'm following who I say I'm following.

What did I miss? Let the commentary continue. . .

3 comments:

  1. Alright, I see where you are going, and I thought after the questions I asked that maybe I was nit picking your point, rather than understanding that this is your vision...
    I like your vision, and I think that your vision is vision a lot of people want to learn and attain. Especially as Christians. I agree about "good" Christians. That though is something I have questions with. Because that is where issues come into play. No, you don't have to witness everytime you talk to some one, but actions that you do tend to label people. You know me, I am crude, and foul mouthed. I will say things, and do things that shock people. Am I Christian? If I don't believe, but don't do things that upset and shock people, what am I?
    Does it just come down to having faith?

    Yes, I will definitely say Nutty Bars will make your life better! Everyone should have those in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing, Gardner: for the two years I saw you on a daily basis, I never thought to myself: "There's a shocking, offensive, godless man. He must be a heathen." You're a great guy. There's no part of your reputation that I wouldn't embrace as a Christian. Are you a bit irreverant at times? Absolutely. I don't think that makes you evil.

    And to answer your question, if you "don't believe, but don't do things that upset and shock people," that makes a you a great guy who's a non-believer. Nothing more, nothing less. Definition of Christian: Christ-follower. You don't have to be a Christian to be a nice guy, an inspiring guy, or a guy I want to have a beer with. Actions don't define Christianity: belief does. Actions follow (though that's a whole other topic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irreverant. I am that most times than not. What you are saying is very true, and there needs to be more like you. This leads me to the question I had in an earlier comment: Is it your job to worry about the forest? Yes, you worry about their well -being, and how they are as a person etc.. But about their salvation? You will, but you're a guy that has high character and a vision. Now, I don't mean that when you are worrying about the forest, that you are going to try and change every non-believer out there, and that everytime you sit with your friends it is going to be a "Come to Christ talk". Throw out all the hanging out situations. I am talking big picture.
    When Jesus was nailed to the cross, didn't he take care of the forest? Right there did he not take care of everybody? We as Christians have decided to follow him, and believe in him, but he beat death for everybody...
    I am trying to climb out of my place, and more than not these comments are me asking you things, because I've hooked into what you are doing, and you're really speaking to me. I love the feedback.

    thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete