Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stories = Life

"The language of stories is the language of life."

This idea is one I intend to explore further later; but for now, the short version. The conference I attended last weekend was the Iowa Council of Teachers of English Fall Conference. It was great to be with a room full of people who also love literature. The above idea was a statement at some point during the conference (and a statement I've read from many authors as well), and one of the speakers took it another step further. She contends that many individuals believe their story is already written. They buy into a certain story, and they expect their life to follow that story. When the real story doesn't go according to the imagined story's expectations, people experience disappointment.

When I think about this, it certainly is in the realm of truth. I hate when I get disappointed by a bad ending in a book or film. If I'm expecting something completely different, I'm not happy. The same is true of life. Many of us are expecting certain endings to the various stories we are involved in. We believe that "happily ever after" and all the romanticized morals from fables apply specifically to us, that the story is already written and we exist only to experience the ending. It's easy to lose our way and get disillusioned when we realize we have no editorial control. It's a real kick in the teeth, actually.

I see this in relation to Christianity in two ways. My first thought is my theory that Christians (or those who profess to be Christians) get lost or doubt their faith when they listen to the wrong story. They believe that being a Christian guarantees them an easy or comfortable life. The frustrating thing to me is that they believe it because that story is so pervasive in Christian environments. The message seems to be that, "If you'll accept Jesus into your heart right here and now by listening to the words that I'm praying right now, everything will be great." I've heard this message over and over. I've heard many testimonies talking about how terrible life was, then the individual remembered who God was, and then all was immediately well. I'm happy for that person, but I think it's a dangerous message.

The story Christ tells is an entirely different one. The world will hate you, He says. The meek will inherit the earth. Your job is to serve. You will be persecuted, and perhaps even killed. I can require your life or anyone else's at any minute of any day. There must be a death of your worldy desires. Give and love sacrificially.

My only point here is that when the wrong message is believed, it will ultimately lead to individuals feeling let down. It will lead to doubt. When the story doesn't end the way they thought it would, they will seek another story.

The other relation to Christianity comes from a Zig Ziglar speech I was listening to in my truck on the way to the conference. He talked about an especially tense Dallas Cowboys football game in which everyone who watched was on the edge of their seat, teetering on the edges of all sorts of emotions during a particularly close and important game. He said he was calm the entire time he was watching. Then he explained why - he watched the game on tape after he already knew the outcome. His point: Biblically-speaking, we know the outcome. It isn't a life of comfort, but it is an eternity of joy. It is fulfillment and purpose and a conquering of death. It is a victory in the only contests that matter. To know the outcome is a much easier way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment