Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ideas this week

A few assorted ideas I’ve come across in the past few days:

1. Never pray for something unless you’re willing to be part of the answer.
- Grant Osborne

Our associate pastor included this as part of his sermon last Sunday. It’s a challenging concept. His context: Christ viewed the people of the world as A)sheep without a shepherd who were both harassed and helpless, and B) the harvest (souls to save). His followers have the command to see people in the same way, and to be as desperate as a harvester is to get in the crop before it spoils. I can pray all I want for this “harvest”; but if I’m not actively doing anything about it, it’s an empty request.

2. What you want has a massive impact on what you’ll allow yourself to believe.

This one came from a recent John Piper sermon I listened to tonight while working out. I fear the number of truths I hold on to because I simply want them to be true, or because it would be inconvenient if they weren’t. And I don’t know how one would be able to see these faulty trughts without the help of a friend. Readers – if you see me believing anything foolish out of convenience or out of an empty desire, I beg you to call me on it.

3. Having dinner with characters.

At the English teachers conference I was at last weekend, one of the questions that teachers pondered was which literary character would they most like to have dinner with. They provided a list of common characters, and from the list I picked Atticus Finch. I think the question goes deeper than who is your favorite character, and I’m at a loss to answer the question as I’ve pondered it from an unlimited bank of possibilities. I also have thought about which person from the Bible (other than Christ, obviously) I’d most like to have dinner with, So many to choose from, but so many flaws as well. I don’t have an answer for either, but I’m really curious what my readers have to say on this. If you’ve got any thoughts on this matter, post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I don't pray, nor do I believe in prayer, but I do like the premise of the first statement. Please don't take an offense to my wording here, no belittling is intended. If you simply 'wish' for something you only have chance to reach your desired outcome. Now if you apply yourself and put yourself into the equation as opposed to outside of it, you greatly increase the possibility of seeing your desired outcome.

    Statement 2 is a major hang-up I have with religion in general. I don't want to go any further. I think it is a science thing.

    I do not read any fiction so #3 is pretty tough. I guess I would be limited to the stories I read my kids: the Lorax, the Giving Tree, and the Sesame Street Gang would have to be towards the top. Maybe Clifford too.

    As I am sure you would guess, I don't know enough about the bible to be able to name anyone. Not that I couldn't identify someone if had better knowledge, it's just bible ignorance. Maybe you could suggest someone for me Dykstra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance I'd say Paul. Paul's arguments in his letters were so logic based and analytical that I think you'd have an interesting conversation.

    Also, Paul spent of lot of his life confident that Christ was a fake and living passionately and purposefully according to that assumption.

    I'd want a transcript of the discussion, for sure.

    ReplyDelete