Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My notes: adversity

I've struggled to keep my head above water this week, so I've got no topics to write about tonight and no energy to create. I want this blog to keep moving, though; and I don't see a writing opportunity until this weekend since I'm leaving for a conference tomorrow morning. Due to that fact, what I'm going to do (and plan to do from time to time) is post some notes I've taken over the past few years on a certain topic. I've taken to the habit of having a notebook with me when I'm reading or when I'm in a position to learn something so that I can revisit what I've learned. Occasionally I'll compile those notes and organize them into topics.

This week I've posted below some random notes and quotes regarding dealing with adversity:

1. “No society has ever developed tough men during times of peace.” (John C. Maxwell, The Winning Attitude)
-attack problems w/eyes on the benefits, not the barriers

2. From The Complete Works of Oswald Chambers, p. 37:
- Being a Believer means that I hang to the fact that God is true no matter what happens
- “The problems of life get hold of a man and make it difficult for him to know whether in the face of these things he really is confident in Jesus Christ.”

3. Other thoughts I've jotted down:
- My challenge is to love those I am frustrated with (not criticize behind their back); what do I gain by criticizing?
- Make sure that all confrontation is loving and for the purpose of helping the other (not in retaliation or to prove that I am right)
- I must get to the point where I truly believe I can lose everything, yet have Christ, and all will be well

No comments:

Post a Comment