Monday, September 21, 2009

Conference Reflections: Part 2

Rick Belluzo, former president of Microsoft, spoke as well about strategies for success. I share that advice below, paraphrased by me. I follow each piece of advice with my own brief commentary in italics.

1. You must see every day as an opportunity to have a lasting impact. Every job and every assignment matters, because you come into contact with others who could be potentially impacted by your actions.

I often find this exceptionally difficult as a teacher. There are many days I don't want to approach one of my English classes as if it has lasting significance. There are certainly a majority of professional development hoops to jump through that I don't want to believe matter. But I'm around people constantly. My actions speak about me daily, as do all of yours. I have little control over which actions will be remembered by which kid, parent, or co-worker. Every day, therefore, must be excellent. Because when my impact ceases to matter to me, I cease to be relevant. To say, "I could care less what other people think" is a cop out.

2. Take on tough assignments. Tough assignments will provide opportunities for personal growth.

Too many days I don't want to grow. I want to be comfortable. But I also want to be seen as an irreplacable commodity. Those two desires can't co-exist.

3. Be self-aware - seek to find what you're bad at. Don't be oblivious to what's going on around you or to how people see you.

I know very few people who are good at this. I am embarrassed for the ones who don't know their weaknesses, and I have huge respect for those who do. It's exceptionally difficult to be honest about our own weaknesses or to care enough to ask others what they are. But when I think about the frustration I feel when in the midst of those who are oblivous, I see the necessity of developing this skill.

4. The key to perseverance: knowing where you're going. You must have a clearly defined, worthwhile goal that is the reason for overcoming obstacles. Without knowing where you're going, overcoming obstacles simply won't be worth it.

5. Maintain integrity by being hard-headed and soft-hearted. Be hard-headed with your priorities and values, but be soft-hearted with people.

Numbers 4 & 5 go hand in hand. Know your priorities and values. Allow them to guide you daily in what you do/don't do, overcome/abandon, and your interactions with people. I see myself as hard-headed. Perhaps the beginning of my weakness-seeking is the understanding that I lack soft-heartedness.

Just some ideas to share with you. More to come later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment