Thursday, August 6, 2009

Psalm 34

I'm bad at prayer. Always have been. I was so bad that a couple of years ago I devoted one of my precious summers to studying prayer with the hope of understanding it better. I do, and I've been better since then, but I still think I fall into the "hopelessly mediocre" category of pray-ers. I also have a couple of hang-ups on issues concerning prayer that I'm sure will get brought out sooner or later in this blog.

I read in Psalm 34 today why I shouldn't be bad. I knew all these things before I read that Psalm today, but they were all piled together in a beautiful sort of poetic format. David has a way of doing that. Anyway, here I found a list of promises for those who trust in God through prayer. It's a staggering list. I want to share it today, because it makes me feel like a fool for every time I haven't prayed. I think it's great motivation, and I hope it makes me and others struggling better at this awe-inspiring and necessary activity. So here's the list:

Promises from Ps. 34 for those trusting in God through prayer:
- delivered from all fears
- will be radiant after looking to Him
- not ashamed
- heard by the Lord and saved
- the angel of the Lord is near
- able to taste and see that the Lord is good
- blessed
- will have no want
- shall not lack any good thing
- eyes of the Lord are on you
- will have many afflictions, but will be delivered by the Lord from all of them

No comments:

Post a Comment