Sunday, August 30, 2009

An early grade for myself

I've been at work now in the school year for two weeks, and it's time for some reflection. I began the year with lofty goals in terms of my approach and perspective, and I must look inward consistently if I am to intentional about accomplishing those goals. Looking back, here's what I've noticed about myself:

1. The busier I get, the more me-centered I get in my perspective. Everything seemed to happen at once over the last two weeks. School started, taking up 8 hours of my day. My grad class started, and I finally saw my course syllabus indicating a harsh workload over the next 4 months. I agreed to take on a position of organizing Sunday School for high school students at our church. None of this is bad. But I spent the last two weeks feeling busy, and I fear I allow myself to be more critical of temporal things and less grateful for eternal gifts when that happens. In short, my perspective began to suck. I've got to adjust that in some way.

2. My best hours go to my job. That means my wife and daughter get whatever leftover energy I have. I don't like that at all, and I don't know how to fix that.

3. I've done a better job up to this point of reaching out to my co-workers, especially those with whom I've traditionally disagreed. I'm less likely to avoid people with whom I have no relationship (or worse, a bad one).

4. I've done a poor job of thinking well of my bosses when I disagree with them.

5. I've been too tired to keep myself spiritually and physically healthy. This week, I worked out zero times (goal is 4 a week). I got zero blog posts written (hoping for 2-3 a week). I read the Bible and formally prayed on one evening (should be daily). I was encouraged last night, though, listening to a fellow teacher talk at a party. She said it's just like getting yourself back into shape for a sports season. You're not in game shape right away; that takes awhile. I love the analogy, and I think it's true. I'm definitely not in game shape right now, but I'll get there. In the mean time, it will be a challenge (but a necessity) to stay healthy.


The journey continues tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment