Monday, August 3, 2009

Excellence Defined

I wrote down a definition of excellence a few weeks ago from the Compassion International blog that I'd like to share today. If you're not familiar with Compassion, it's a great charity. I won't go deep into what they do here, but they are certainly worth looking into.

Anyway, on their blog they listed what they are aiming at when they say they are pursuing excellence. I've read a ton of leadership and personal growth books, and I like this definition the best. It will be on my classroom wall once school starts in the Fall. There are 5 points, and each one deserves individual attention in order to be fully understood.

Excellence. . .
1. is answering God's call to the best of our abilities with the gifts and resources He has given us.
2. is carrying out God's work with an attitude of enjoyment.
3. is exceeding the expectations of the world and striving to meet God's standards.
4. honors God.
5. requires a grounding in Christ, the source of all strength.

While goal-setting is good, as is having a vision for where one wants to go, the more I study, the more I realize that if one is living a God-centered life, success comes in the journey. I will never "arrive" or accomplish success. I can live each day successfully if I am pursuing excellence as it is defined above.

I can become teacher of the year, acquire another graduate degree, or go undefeated as a coach. None of that, however, would be successful or fulfilling. They are only good if I go about reaching those goals each day with excellence in mind.

6 comments:

  1. Aren't you sure to get some angry, atheist Momma calls if you put that on your wall at school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so. Then when they come in to see it, I can show them Psalm 91 and the lyrics to "Come Thou Fount" and "Be Thou My Vision" that are already up on my wall. Perhaps it can be a real teachable moment about some excellent literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. james, i was SO just going to ask that same question... and shannon, i expected that you'd respond as you did -- and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you may regret inviting me to your blog. No, wait, you will be OK with it but I might ruffle a few others feathers. None is intended, in some cases I may be playing devils advocate - for a lack of better words.

    As you know Shannon, I am a non-believer. Might one use your Excellence points this way?

    Excellence. . .
    1. is answering our personal calling to the best of our abilities with the gifts and resources we each posses.
    2. is carrying out my work with an attitude of enjoyment.
    3. is exceeding the expectations of the world and striving to meet high standards.
    4. honors thy self and thy family.
    5. requires a grounding in friends and family, the source of all strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Rob, I’m going to refer to something Mike Huckabee said during the primaries. When asked if he would be willing to have atheists in his cabinet, he said absolutely, as long as they were passionate. His point – it’s easy to work with someone and respect that individual if they commit fully to what they say is their belief system. He said he had less respect for the half-hearted “Christians” whose actions were no reflection of what they said they believed.

    If you believe there is no God, what you’ve listed here might be a good way to go. In fact, I believe this would lead to great productivity and would produce for you a great deal of influence in the world. While the definition of the word I’m about to use is fleeting, I believe actions engaged in according to the principals you’ve listed would lead to an “honorable” life. A very respectful life. Even a happy life.

    But if God does exist, I believe that life would be limited. I believe the joy would be limited, the eternal significance would be limited, and the possibilities would be limited. If God does exist, working with Him will obviously create better results than flying solo.

    I believe every individual in the world begins with two choices – Either there is a God, or I am God. It’s a question of sovereignty. Either a higher power created me and I owe something (allegiance, faith, love, ritual animal sacrifices, etc. . .), or I am sovereign over my own life. We differ in this choice, and I believe that as long as that is true, what you’ve listed is as good of a definition of personal excellence as any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I just stumbled onto the blog of a Mr Shannon Dykstra! I simply googled "excellence defined" to work on something for a meeting tonight talking about excellence. This is exactly what I was looking for! And from someone I know! Crazy web-o-sphere! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete