Friday, July 26, 2013

On Happiness

Time Magazine ran a "Pursuit of Happiness" issue recently, from which I found a couple of noteworthy articles. In one of them, the author portrays in an infographic (see here) what researchers have found typically helps and hurts in our attempts to obtain that elusive goal. Some notes . . .

The top helpers for happiness:
  • Helping others through service, acts of kindness, volunteering, etc. Despite this fact, the number of Americans volunteering is on the decline in America.
  • Worshiping at religious services.
  • Working out.
  • Money can lead to happiness if well-used. The more that money is used to purchase experiences - vacations, outings, etc - rather than material items, the more happiness that can be found. Also, a higher predictor than actual income is one's level of debt (or in this case, lack thereof)
  • marriage
The top obstacles:
  • A lack of face-to-face interaction. The article specifically makes reference to the fact that most complain of being stressed out when they are "unplugged"; however, that often prevents one from activities that produce social opportunities.
  •  Heavy TV viewing.
  • Unhealthy diets
  • Long commutes
  • Shopping: if done too often, one becomes immune to the "new-stuff buzz," and it can lead to debt.
  • Poor sleep habits. 
My own reflections:
  • Nutty Bars and Snickers make me happy, but only if I work out twice as much to counteract their health detriments.
  • I have never felt "happy" after long hours in front of a TV. I foolishly just can't peel myself away sometimes.
  • Playing games with people always feels better than watching games alone.
  • Every dollar I've spent on trips has been worth it. I don't remember ever regretting not buying something.
  • Thank God for my wife.
  • Worshiping and service prove themselves worthy of my time over and over again. Why are they the hardest to commit to?
  • I believe at times most people, including myself, know exactly what will and won't make them happy, yet they struggle to make choices accordingly anyway because it seems too hard.
  • My biggest obstacle to happiness: focusing too much on my own happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment