Monday, July 29, 2013

July Review

I committed to reporting out on my progress for 3 stated goals this year on a monthly basis on the blog. Below I've got July's journey reported out. It was a good month in many ways.

Goal 1: Read 25 books.
I read three this month, placing me well ahead of pace at 16. The Chronicles of Narnia continue to delight, and Pride and Prejudice was a pleasant surprise. 

Goal 2: Write 75 blog posts.
This is #8 for the month, #47 for the year. I'm doing well here, on pace for approximately 80. This month saw the majority of my "Notes From Camp" series, a favorite of mine to write each year.

Goal 3: Write 25 letters.
This has been the one that I have struggled the most to keep up with, though I wrote 3 this month. That puts my total at 12: still behind pace, but I'm on the comeback trail.

It's been a great month for playing, both as a family and as an individual. We leave for a little vacation to Duluth this week to cap off the month's adventures. Any month I can successfully work on the above goals while still leaving time for RAGBRAI, family vacation, grilling, canoeing, etc. is a good month. 

Quotes to note for the month:
  • "Christian giving is to be marked by self-sacrifice and self-forgetfulness, not by self-congratulation." - John Stott
  • "The human spirit will not even begin to try to surrender self-will as long as all seems to be well with it. Now error and sin both have this property, that the deeper they are the less their victim suspects their existence; they are masked evil. Pain is unmasked, unmistakable evil; every man knows that something is wrong when he is being hurt." - C.S. Lewis
  • "When we drill a Bible story down into a moral lesson, we make it about us. But the Bible isn't mainly about us, and what we are supposed to be doing - it's about God, and what he has done." - Sally Lloyd Jones
Summer marches on. Work hard, play hard, and keep your priorities firmly in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment