Saturday, April 6, 2013

I'm Not a Devil, and Neither are You

Once upon a time I got into a little tiff with a fellow staff member about some manner of contested educational philosophy or practice. In this particular bout of verbal sparring, the other individual walked away in great anger. The next day I requested to sit down with them and smooth things over. After sitting down and taking a deep breath, I looked up and said, "I don't think I'm nearly the a--hole that you think I am." Fortunately, after a much effort on my part, I think I convinced them.

I think the world would be a little better if we all walked around with signs that said that exact phrase. It's most likely true. And it's true because we've come to love the caricature of others; whatever the worst in them is, we'll often blow it up into a cartoonish image and ignore the rest of them. We chop up the world into two categories - people we like and agree with, and devils from hell.

This especially happens in matters of faith, morality, and politics. The old adage about not speaking about religion or politics among friends is probably true because disagreements in those areas are the quickest to produce caricatures. If I can't trust you to get on the correct side of social policy or theology, what can I trust you with?

Perhaps that's why on this blog I've generally stayed away from the topic making headlines every day now - that of "gay rights." In fact, I hesitated just then to type that phrase, because I'm not sure if my wording is politically correct or emotionally charged. Inside this social issue, my people  - "the Christians" - are both very quick to caricature and be caricatured. Anyone with any sort of loyalty to Scriptural inerrancy is often labeled a bigot, a Bible-thumper, an intolerant and self-righteous prig who hates love and equality and damns all others to hell. And unfortunately, some Christians are quick to see homosexuality as the one sin from which one can never return, a mark of paganistic devil-worship in purely hedonistic beings.

I was fortunate to read an article this week that broke those stereotypical models, instead portraying individuals in these two groups as just that - individuals - ones with great qualities despite the fact that they disagree on issues of morality. More articles like this one, rather than the much more common demonizing commentary that sells to both camps, could truly change the nature of this issue.

I enthusiastically recommend the article from The Atlantic, "Being Gay at Jerry Falwell's University," to all who have the time. Two cautions: First, the article will push many out of their comfort zone simply because it doesn't resort to caricatures. You will be forced to see those with whom you disagree as people, regardless of where you stand. Second, don't quit halfway. If you do, you will walk away with faulty assumptions. The quality of this article lies in its entirety, not in mere quotes or paragraphs.

I also offer a second article I read on the same day, this one by Donald Miller called, "Why I Now Like George W. Bush." It is much much more brief, but it also challenges the reader to go beyond caricature. It's well worth your time as well.

These are just a few articles I came across this week that I hope some of you find as much value in as I do. They certainly won't make headlines - they're much too fair-minded for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment