Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April Review

I committed to reporting out on the progress of 3 major goals at the end of each month in 2013. Here are April's stats:

Goal 1: Read 25 books.
I read two more in April, and I've started a 3rd. If you're a fan of Steinbeck's East of Eden, pick up his Journal of a Novel. Great read. I've finished 9 for the year.

Goal 2: Write 75 blog posts.
I wrote 7 this month, despite an inactive week to end April. Twenty-seven down. I'm on pace. My favorites for the month are probably "I'm not a Devil, and Neither are You," and "Why I'm Glad My Wife Can Deadlift More than Me."

Goal 3: Write 25 letters.
Two more written, which puts me at seven for the year. Still running a deficit here.

Reflections:
April started with a bang regarding my goals, but it fizzled at the end. A killer cold at the end of the month rendered me sloth-like for the past week. This is a great month to display that doing first things first means getting it done even when obstacles like illness arise unexpectedly. I also had time to branch out to other priorities, like spending time with good people, spending energy and money on my bike, and building a youth soccer dynasty (if no one ever keeps score).

Memorable quotes from the month:
  • "God doesn't think your crap is awesome, He doesn't think your arrogance is beautiful and okay, but He has ten times the patience with you than your friends. Your whining and complaining and relapses into old sins are not okay with Him, but they don't affect His love for you. He likes you more than your friends like you." - Donald Miller
  • "Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become." - C.S. Lewis
  • "Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means at the point of highest reality." - C.S. Lewis
  • "God is far more willing to save sinners than sinners are to be saved." - J.C. Ryle
  • "How can we expect to live with God in heaven if we love not to live with him on earth?" - John Mason
Interesting Links:

The end of the school year, the beginning of umpiring season, and occupational uncertainty loom. Come May, what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment