Friday, February 22, 2013

Why Sports #3: Get Real

Why are sports good? They're good because they tell us about ourselves.

I've heard people say that sports brings out the best in some. In the midst of competition, some people rise up, perform, excel, and dominate. The word us sports guys like to use is "clutch."

I've heard people say that sports brings out the worst in some. Some people pout or whine in the midst of competition. Others hide. Some simply struggle in the tense moments, crumbling when they are counted on most. Some become petulant children, throwing tantrums and losing any semblance of control over themselves and their behavior.

I reject both of these statements. Instead, I embrace the idea that sports brings out the real in all of us. Whoever you are and whatever you are will be exposed in the stress of competition.

A week or two ago, the ISU athletic director was ushered out of a high school basketball game at the direction of game referees. The administrator of the school after the game indicated it was no big deal, it was, "just a dad being a dad." Exactly. That's exactly what it was - a real display of who he is and how he parents. This is what dads do at games, right? I have no idea what the AD did or if he deserved to get booted. What I do know is that sports brought out his true character.

We need this in our lives. For too much of the time we are able to control ourselves, making calculated decisions to do what will be perceived as "good" or "noble" or "nice" or whatever other adjective we hope others are using to describe us. And that's all well and good. But that isn't a picture of who we actually are; rather, it's a picture of who we hope to be. Stress and competition show us where we are right now, when our shield is down and we can't pretend.

My basketball season has ended, and once again I can look back at what I did well and what I didn't. I can see once again the parts of my character that came out during games and practices and recognize what I am and what I am not. I can see what needs to change. I can see what I become on the days I don't bring God to the gym with me.

Who are you? When you're in the stands watching your team or your kid, in what way do you behave? When you're competing, especially when you're losing and you're called upon to do your job or else, what do you do? Pick a game, and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment