Thursday, February 28, 2013

February Review

I committed to reporting out on the progress of 3 goals I've set for the year at the end of every month, and my time is up for February. Here's where I'm at:

Goal 1: Read 25 books this year.
I read two books this month, and I'm at 5 for the year. Still ahead of pace. If any of you haven't read the Chronicles of Narnia as an adult, I would highly encourage it. One by one, they continue to enamor me.

Goal 2: Write 75 blog posts.
This is my 6th post of the month, which is exactly what I need to average. I'm at 14 for the year. This month was all sports, all the time. I'm happy with the final product, though I think I have one concluding piece to add in March. If you missed any in the series on why sports are worth our time, you can find them in the right hand margin under the February posts.

Goal 3: Write 25 letters.
I got one written this month instead of the two that was called for. I fell a little short here, but not insurmountably. I'm at 3 for the year. I can and must catch up in March.

Biggest Obstacle: Brutal Schedule.
Frankly, I'm quite happy with my results for the month. This is a short month, and it will be probably the busiest of the year for me. The basketball grind was tough, and a lot of the rest of my time was spent preparing for a dance competition my wife and I are participating in for a fundraiser. Getting ready to foxtrot apparently demands a lot of time and energy. Anyway, if I could complete what I completed in the midst of this schedule, I have confidence that I can reach these goals over the course of the next ten months.

Memorable quotes for the month:
  • "It is easier to cry against one thousand sins of others than to kill one of your own." - John Flavel
  • "I love reading books on prayer, but sometimes I wonder if I like reading books on prayer more than I like praying. Reading comes naturally to me, prayer does not. Reading is easy to understand, prayer is not. finishing a good book and looking back on all the parts I have highlighted gives a sense of accomplishment that prayer does not. reading books on prayer too easily becomes a substitute for praying." - Tim Challies
  • "Tolerance is the virtue of men who don't believe in anything." - G.K. Chesterton
  • "I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice? - C.S. Lewis
  • "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
Interesting links:

No comments:

Post a Comment