Monday, October 29, 2012

New Game Plan for Tomorrow

The part of my job for which I have profound distaste happens every Tuesday morning. Like all other employed individuals in the world, there are parts of my job that I enjoy and others that I don't. I'm paid well to do all of my job, even those activities that don't incite passion within me. However, I find myself dreading Tuesdays. I wake up irritable, enter the building sarcastic, begin my job dejected, and then I endure.

My Bible reading tonight was from Colossians. In it, Paul's letter challenged me to be better than "enduring" tomorrow:

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering. . . But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (3:12-15)

I was angry when I read that on this, a Monday night. I want so badly to go into work tomorrow and get through with anger and pride and loathing. I want to complain and mock and exasperatedly question. I really don't feel kindness and humility coming on. Longsuffering doesn't sound all that appealing. Thankful will be a tough stretch as well.

But if I am indeed elected by God, if I am seeking holiness, and if I am beloved of God, that is the calling, whether I feel like it right now or not. I will hold on to my own distaste, or I will allow myself to be ruled by the peace of God. Am I really saying that God can move mountains, but He can't move my attitude? Or am I saying that I'd rather be angry than thankful?

Tomorrow will be a challenge. But tonight God has called an audible, a change to the game plan. And good players stick to the game plan.

2 comments:

  1. How many of us get up in the morning and choose to make it a good day? That is my game plan!Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the best free games for iPad 4 and iPad mini. iTunes is the world's easiest way to organize and add to your digital media collection. To download the free app shapeMutantsVsU by RSZ International Inc., get iTunes now.

    ReplyDelete