Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Notes from 'Get Motivated'

Emily and I went down to Des Moines to the "Get Motivated" Seminar a couple of weeks ago. Dan Rather, Bill Cosby, Robert Gibbs, Karl Rove, and Joe Montana were among several speakers on a range of topics. I thought I'd share some of my notes on this blog post.

From Kirk Ferentz:
There are more games lost than are won. People lose because they fail to control the "avoidables" - those mistakes that don't have to occur. In sports and in life, it's not enough to avoid lamenting that which you can't control; you've also got to make sure that you absolutely take care of that which you can.

From Dan Rather:
1. You need someone in your life who will talk "straight" to you. Regardless of whether the truth is easier or hard, there needs to be at least on person who is willing to give it to you. Sometimes we need someone to confirm that we are indeed worthwhile. Others need to get knocked down a peg. Either way, a person like this is there to tell you what you can't see (but need to) on your own.

2. About yesterday - no tears. About tomorrow - no fears.

A quote from John Wooden
I thank God that I'm not what I used to be. If you're desperate to be what you once were, life is not moving in the right direction. 

From Robert Gibbs
Plan as meticulously in your personal life as you do for your professional goals. Everyone talks about their "5-year plan" or something similar that points to where one wants to go in their career. What do you want for your family? What do you want for your friendships? What kind of a person do you want to be? Plan for it. Prepare for it. Take practical steps to advance towards your vision.

From Bill Cosby
You're going to be 38 anyway! Do it! Cosby here is referring to individuals he hears say something like, "Well, I want to be a doctor; but I'll be 38 when I finally get done with school. I'm not sure I want that." Barring some unfortunate accident, 38 is going to come. Would you rather be a doctor at that point, or wishing you were one. Too intimated to start something because the end goal is so far away? Quitting smoking? New degree? Write a book? The more days that go by without starting, the farther back that end goal is pushed.

From Keith Craft
When you live a life that is focused on values, you'll make life better for those around you. A major goal for all of us is to make our own lives better. Much of the fodder for this blog is in regard to my search to make my own better. The point from Craft is that by focusing on values, you'll not only make your own experience better, you'll make the experience for those around you better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment