Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Servant to Emulate

Pregnancy can be a scary ordeal. Perhaps "anxiety-inducing" is a better term. Regardless of situation, the topic of pregnancy produces anxiety, both good and bad. I remember various stages of "pregnancy anxiety" over the course of my marriage. Early on I remember an unplanned situation in which we thought Emily could be pregnant (she wasn't). Anxiety. I remember the intimidating process of deciding when we were "ready" to try to become pregnant. More anxiety. I then remember learning that she was pregnant, then experiencing difficulties, and later successes, and later children that were all of a sudden here and mine and full of smiles and needs. Major anxiety. And now I have conversations with friends of similar ages and circumstances, all centered around the topic of, "Are you done? Do you think you'll have another? What's your plan?"

Becoming pregnant, avoiding pregnancy, planning pregnancy, and experiencing pregnancy are all situations that are loaded with emotions, life-altering decisions, and careful consideration. It's not something that people in our culture like to be surprised about.

When I remember that Mary was a real person, a young, unmarried female with real goals and aspirations and plans, the account of the events before Jesus was born are fascinating. And most fascinating of all is that she had to respond to being an unwed virgin mother. She didn't plan for this; she couldn't even conceive (no pun intended) of the possibility. Then all of a sudden an angel shows up and says, "By the way, you're pregnant. Ready to be a mom? Oh, by the way, the child is not normal. You've heard of the Messiah? Yeah, good luck raising him. Don't screw up, okay? And tell your fiance not to worry."

Anxiety. Big anxiety. I'd have a few words for the angel if I were Mary. I'd ask a lot of "Why me?" questions. I'd complain loudly and rush out to tell other people how I got screwed over and it wasn't even my fault (one of my all-time favorite things to do when tough times are thrust upon me). I'm sure Mary had anxiety. She even had a few words for the angel. But they are rather unlike what mine might have been:

"Behold, the servant of the Lord. Let it be to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38)

Mary's whole world has been changed. Everything she grew up envisioning for herself is likely never going to happen, and she knows that. Her personal aspirations are dead. And her response to God? "Thy will be done."

Mary recognizes what I have so much trouble remembering - my life is not my own. I don't exist to be comfortable, nor do I exist for my own plans. The death of self is crucial in the life of a disciple of Christ. Anxiety-laden times reveal the character of people. The young virgin had it all figured out. She is a servant to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment