Wednesday, August 3, 2011

When Good Times Come to an End. . .

Tonight's blog I'm addressing to those for whom life is going quite well at this point in time.

It's not that I don't care about those who are struggling; I just don't know what to say to you. I have yet to come up with words that are effective in actually making someone feel better when things are at their worst. I think back to some really rough patches in my life, and I can't recall one time where someone's words were exactly what I needed to hear. When tragedy strikes, no words seem to matter.

However, when things are going well, most people (including myself) are pretty willing to listen to anything, even advice. In tonight's personal Bible reading, I came across a couple of statements that I thought were remarkably applicable to people when they are struggling. I'm not struggling now - I actually have it quite good - but when I read the words I hoped that I would remember them when times are tough and I don't know where to go.

The first is in Job. Job has just lost all his riches and all his children. Everything important in his life is gone. Job's response, when others tell him to complain: "Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" These are wise words, and they are words to take heed of when gargantuan trials strike. However, when I've had those huge trials, if someone were to have quoted that verse to me and told me it would all be okay, I might have punched them in the face. These are words you don't want to hear when you're in the metaphorical depths of hell. That's why those of us who are not currently in those metaphorical depths would find it wise to learn that truth now, and remember it later.

The second quote came from Psalm 121:7 -
"The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul."

The promise isn't that, as Christians, we can expect an easy life where everything goes well. The promise is that our soul will be preserved, which is far more important than our comfort. When jobs are lost or money is gone or personal attacks are flying, this is important information. However, if you don't know this before problems arise, you certainly won't want to hear it when they do.

So for those of us who are fortunate enough not to be in pain or consumed by worry or fear or dread tonight, led us soak in this truth in preparation for the day when trials come. And may we remember that for those around us who are facing those trials, these words (and probably all others) may not feel like wisdom.

I would suggest a hug instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment