Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Death of Expectations

Though I haven't been able to write over the past couple of weeks because of my schedule, I have been collecting instances in which I've noticed a rash of low or non-existent expectations, especially around teenagers.

1. The phrase "Well at least I'm being honest," has always been one that's bothered me from students. They could have killed their sibling, but if they follow it with, "Well, at least I'm honest," it's as if all sins are absolved. When did honesty cease becoming an expectation? When did we get to the point where lying is expected and that great strides in character have been taken for being honest?

I thought that was bad and have always chastised students for that. During the last week of school, I realized that the situation had worsened. Instead of "At least I'm honest," I began to hear students say "Well, at least I'm here." Now attendance isn't an expectation - it's proof of character.

2. I recently read comments by Iowa State University's athletic director about athletes transferring that I thought were telling as well:
However, it also helps to keep our transfers in perspective. My peers and I continually discuss the epidemic around the country in the sport of basketball. In the past two years over 500 men’s basketball players have transferred from a Division I team to another program. That number is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately if a kid’s world is not absolutely perfect (in their mind), they run from the problem rather than deal with it. Makes you wonder if it is the first signs of our society’s change in our early education program (no longer give kids grades – everybody passes; can’t keep score, everybody has to win; if you do not like something, have mom or dad complain on your behalf). Personally I wonder how that generation is going to survive in the real world when mom or dad or AAU coach are not there for them during their first job interview or first job evaluation. The bottom line is life is not a video game, you can’t just hit reset if you do not like your initial score.

3. A recent Time magazine article detailed studies across the nation aimed at paying students for grades, attendance, homework, etc. This is considered a viable reform option in getting kids more motivated to perform in school.

I close this school year not with optimism, but with fear for the future. I suppose that's a fitting end to a difficult year. I wish I could put a positive spin on trends both in teenagers and in educational policy. I simply can't.

Well, at least I'm being honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment