Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another Chance

On Friday afternoon at the end of the school day, I walked into my principal's office to find out just how safe my current job is. I did not walk out with a lot of confidence. As the low man on the totem pole of experience, I knew all year with the talk of budget cuts that the possibility existed that I would be out. I never really thought the chances were great - after all, they cut from our department last year, and we just don't have the people to absorb another cut. I had hoped to walk into my principal's office and hear, "Don't worry." Instead I heard, "We just don't know yet. It wouldn't hurt to apply for other jobs."

This isn't my first time dealing with job uncertainty:
- During both years of teaching and coaching in Nebraska, I dealt with a couple members of the school board (and the superintendent) who were parents of players and wanted me out. I never got an explanation from them, just a lot of backroom attempts to get me out.
- When my last school district decided to join with another, the head coaching position that I assumed was mine was not.
- Last year when the head basketball coaching position at my current school was open, it looked like a sure thing and pure common sense for one of our assistants (and a good friend with whom I would love to coach for years) to get the position. His and my basketball careers would move forward. He did not get the job. I didn't even get an interview. So much for loyalty. It was very difficult for me to sign on for another year of coaching.

All of these situations involved a great deal of deceit. I felt screwed over and lied to each time. And here we are again (though without the deceit, I'll have to admit), in another time of uncertainly.

I'd give myself a C- in terms of how I dealt with these events in the past. I had confidence in each scenario that God was in control, that God would provide, that all would work out well for me and my family. And I was right each time. But I also spent a lot of time letting people know that I felt I was treated unfairly. I complained. A lot. I advertised my rough situation with a "Woe is me!" tone to just about anyone who would listen. And I worried a lot. I've always regretted that. I guess this is my chance to do it right.

I don't know how this is going to turn out. Maybe I'll still have my job. Maybe I'll get another one, whether it's a good fit for me or not. Maybe I'll join 10% of America and be unemployed for a while. The Sovereign God will take care of me. But I must take care to let my actions and especially my words speak of this faith, instead of letting them speak of my anxiety and my sense of being wronged. I'd say this is my second chance to do handle this the right way, but it's more like my 9th or 10th.

Yesterday I read a couple of really applicable statements in the Psalms once again (Ps. 94, emphasis added):
"Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord,
And teach out of Your law,
That You may give him rest from the days of adversity."

"In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul."

If I am to really make a statement of the Lord's goodness to the world and to the amount of joy and satisfaction available in Him, what better way than to exhibit faith and joy and rest and comfort in these days of adversity and in the multitude of anxieties. Most people are happy in times of plenty and comfort. If I remain focused on God instead of my uncertainty, I can have great joy at all times. Anything less is another wasted opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent take on attitude. I've been trying to take stock lately of how often I'm complaining just so I have something to say... it's something I'm noticing too often. Certainly not a good reflection of Christ, but surprisingly common.

    ReplyDelete