Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reputation

One of the things I repeat almost daily to both my students and my basketball players is that every day they are building a reputation. Every day counts, and their actions that day will determine what they as individuals (and in basketball, us as a team) are known for. Because everyone is known for something. I emphasize this in my teaching and coaching because I believe it matters, almost certainly more so than comma usage or a jump shot.

I was listening to a sermon the other day about the life of Jonathan Edwards, icon of the Christian faith from the 18th century. His biography is interesting, especially the amount of strife he often faced in his own church. What is most memorable to me, though, is a statement the speaker made about Edwards' reputation amongst some in the his community. Many said of him, "He's too heavenly-minded to be of any earthly good."

What a ridiculous statement, and what an honorable reputation. I can only hope to be "criticized" in that way at some point in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment