Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reflections from today's Bible reading, Part 1

I noticed a couple of things in my Scripture reading from today that I wanted to share, but I’ll do so in pieces.

Reflection #1
I’m someone who analyzes decisions to death, agonizing over whether or not I should do something or not, or whether or not it is “God’s will” for me to do something. Right now, getting another masters degree falls in that category. I found a better way to approach decision-making in 1 Chronicles today. In I Chron. 19, Israel’s army is facing an intimidating battle. Joab, the man David has placed in charge of the army, has made a tactical decision. This decision has life or death consequences for thousands, a decision much more consequential than the ones I agonize over. His statement before the battle (verse 13) reveals a better way to approach decision-making: “Be of good courage, and let us be strong for our people and for the cities of our God. And may the Lord do what is good in His sight.”

The man is able to act with conviction. First, he says, “Be of good courage,” a statement in the Bible that is almost always followed with, “. . . for the Lord your God is with you.” Next, he speaks of motive: “. . . be strong for our people and for the cities of our God.” The action comes down to motive. If the action taken is done for the betterment of one’s family and one’s church family, the motives are in the right place. If my decision can bring glory to God through improving my family’s situation or the situation of some in the family of God, it is an action worth taking. If it is an action for the sake of pride, it is wrong. The same action/decision can be good or bad depending on the motive of the individual.

Joab ends by recognizing God’s sovereignty: “And may the Lord do what is good in His sight.”

Bottom line – I can act with conviction and confidence knowing that the Lord is with me if my motives are proper and I am working for the glory of God. It may or may not work out how I want; the Lord will do what is good in His sight. But the end result is nothing in comparison to the glory given to God in the process.

Though it will not be easy, I think I need to simplify my decision-making process to look more like Joab’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment