Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Epilogue to a Season Part 1: The People

This is one in a series of posts reflecting on the most recent basketball season. My goal in each of the next several posts is to look at a separate aspect of what made this year such a memorable experience for me personally. 

The other night we had friends over for supper. They're a couple we've planned to eat with often, both of us waiting for the end of the season to catch our breath and be able to make it work He is an old assistant coach of mine, and we've been friends ever since. Our kids are around the same age, and we share a love for the Chicago Bulls, 90's bands, and banter. He is part of one of the reasons this season was such a positive experience for me. 

I'm a relational guy. When I got into coaching, I was passionate about the game and about leading. That was enough. It's not, now, if I'm being honest. Somewhere along the way I figured out that who I work with matters. A lot. And if I don't enjoy who I'm working with, then coaching is simply not a responsible use of my time. When I left coaching for a year, I knew that the only way back was with the right people, and I only said yes when the right person to work with came along.

Most of my best friends are people I have coached with. That's just the way it is. We understand each other. We understand the competitive fire, the frustrations, the challenges, the rewards. Everything I will say in this post, they know. They get it. We've been through the battles together - the daily practice grind, the road trips, the nail-biters, the blowouts; one knowing glance is all it takes to communicate the joy, relief, frustration, exasperation, fulfillment that we share.

The people I was around this season made many of the nights in gyms special to me. I remember one night in particular. It was in our gym, but the opponent was a familiar one. On the other bench coaching against us was a former player. I now call him a friend. In the boys game coached my former assistant, the one with whom I would share a supper table and stories and a exuberant game of UNO around a table full of our young children. I remember coming home that night and telling my wife that it was a great, great night. I barely remember the game. I know that we won, and there is little else that I recall. But I do remember all the stories we told that night. I remember the hugs and handshakes and shared X's and O's and fatherhood tales. I remember knowing that without basketball as a setting, we wouldn't all be in the same place, in the same time, sharing what we were sharing.

So much of what coaching is to me now is that: being in the same place at the same time with people I really enjoy. A couple of times a year my parents are in the gym. My in-laws are there for nearly every game. A college buddy of mine came to one on his way through. I had so many conversations with people I respect and enjoy - those I've coached with and against, those I've umpired with, others I've taught with. We can say that we don't need a ball and a crowd and some lights and a couple of whistles to get together, but the reality is that we do. Why? I'm not sure. Life, I guess. And this is why coaching basketball can be a good part of life.

One night I sat next to a guy I used to coach against and listened to him talk about how he made the decision that this was his last year. On another night I was a spectator supporting one of my coaching friends, and I got to sit next to another former coaching opponent. Two other friends of mine who I don't get to coach with much now both volunteered to come and work with my players on a Saturday. A college friend I hadn't spoke to in at least five years ended up recruiting one of our players. 

People matter. Of course the players matter, and they will receive their time and place in this account. But I cannot ignore all the good people I saw over the course of 4 months and the smiles they allowed me to have. Coaching has given me some of the most important relationships in my life. The rewards are deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment