Wednesday, April 22, 2015

You Gotta Look Where You Want to Skate, Even If It's Backwards

I do not have fond memories of roller skating when I was a kid.

Skating for me couldn't have been all bad; I remember voluntary returning for several trips to the skating rink for assorted occasions. But I don't remember anything good. Poor coordination, little experience, and an unwillingness to be taught much of anything conspired against me. I vividly recall a wooden bench attached to the wall around the perimeter of the rink, mid-shin high, that I routinely used to immediately stop all forward momentum. Purposeful movement with a specific target in mind was routinely interrupted by unexpected falls. Perhaps most painful of all were all the times the lights went down, the speakers crooned some love ballad, and skaters were instructed to take the hand of their beloved, all while I watched said beloved skate hand-in-hand with someone else. In hindsight, it was probably for the best. Injuring the secret objection of my affection probably wouldn't have done much for my love life either.

My daughters have attended a few skating events now, and I know that I've passed down my inferior genetic material to my oldest. It took her a while to get at least a little comfortable out on 8 wheels. When she asked me if I wanted to go skating with her at the most recent opportunity, I politely declined. I just don't skate, I explained to her. Too much pain. No skill. Many crashes. I winced when I explained this to her, just to emphasize my ineptitude.

"No problem, Dad," was her response. "I can teach you. Just like someone taught me last time." I was listening. There was nothing she could say that would change my mind, but I was listening. "Wherever your eyes go, that's where your skates will go. You gotta look where you want to skate. That's the secret."

I have no idea the validity of this advice. It could be meaningless or spot-on, and I'll never know. No more crashes for me. But it seems to have worked for her. Also, it's advice that's stayed with me that I think has further practical application. It's all about where you're looking.

You are headed - mind, body, and soul - wherever your eyes go. Your line of sight speaks volumes for your goals. Where do you spend most of your time looking? At the markets? At your spouse? At literature? At Facebook? At Amazon? At your television? At the flaws of your house? For wherever you look, that's where you'll go, whether that's somewhere or nowhere, feast or frustration.

In 2 Peter 3:14, Peter writes, "So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless, and at peace." The "this" in verse 14 refers to "the coming of the day of God."

The vision of Christ-followers should be dominated by looking forward towards eternity and the day of the Lord. And keeping our eyes fixed there should affect our heart and behavior. It's when we lose sight that we falter.

Those today clinging to Biblical truth in the face of the moral momentum of the masses face the accusation of being not forward-focused, but "backward thinking." They are accused of not joining the modern world in their desire to hold on to a forgotten time.

Backward thinking? I embrace that label too. Go ahead and heap "intolerant" on as well. Because you're right - I am stuck in the past. My point of focus reaches all the way back to the cross.

That's where I'm skating. When my eyes are on the target, all 8 wheels are on a smooth backwards ride. And when I follow my daughter's advice, it's a crash-free and joy-filled journey, lack of coordination be damned, all the way there. I'm even ready for a little limbo music.

No comments:

Post a Comment