Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why Atticus Finch and the Apostle Paul Would Get Along

In To Kill a Mockingbird, the author Harper Lee goes to great lengths to display the hero of the book, Atticus Finch, as uncommon. He doesn't do what other fathers do, he isn't like typical community members, and he doesn't even really fit in his family. Yet in every place, he's accepted and respected. He's found a way to be "uncommon" by rejecting immorality, racism, and struggles for power while still being part of the community and his family. This theme comes through further in that Atticus offers several pieces of advice to his children, demanding that they also be uncommon: Don't hold a grudge; fight with your head, not with your fists; fight a worthy battle, even if you know you'll lose; forgive your friends when they wrong you. He, and they, almost lose everything by the end of the text; and even though they don't, they never really win anything for their efforts either. The book ends with them simply going on about their business of quietly leading uncommon lives.

This theme of being "uncommon" is exactly what Paul is writing about in his letter to the Ephesians. I find this to be especially true in Ephesians 4 & 5, as Paul tells them "that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk" (4:17). One of the biggest areas of life he discusses in this section is that of speech.

In order to be uncommon in speech, though much happier/healthier/better than the "common" folk, Paul offers this advice:

  • put away lying (4:25)
  • be angry AND do not sin (4:26)
  • speak only what is good and that which will impart grace on the hearers (4:29)
  • replace bitterness, wrath, anger, slander, and malice (the roots of common speech) with tender-heartedness and the giving of thanks (4:31-2, 5:4)
  • speak only what is fitting for saints, or in other words, for those who are also uncommon (5:3)
  • speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (5:19)
While I know my audience on this blog is mixed, I think that all of these pieces of advice are relevant for non-Christians and Christians except for the last one. (I don't expect my atheist brethren to break into stirring rounds of "Amazing Grace" over coffee tomorrow morning.) These are worthwhile endeavors, ones that will improve one's attitude, outlook, and relationships. In short, it will allow you to be happier than the common people: those complaining and competing in most conversations they hold.

This isn't a call to only speak of puppies and rainbows and hugs. That's not real; and unfortunately, fake is much more common than genuine. No, to impart grace on hearers sometimes means telling them something they don't want to hear. To refrain from lying leads to some uncomfortable moments. It doesn't mean ignoring your anger; instead, it means only saying helpful words in that anger. Paul doesn't ask us to be perfect; he instead suggests to become like those (the saints) with whom we most like being in conversations.

I am as common as ever right now in my speech. Distance from God = distance from perspective = constant perception of getting screwed over = lots and lots of not helpful talk. I can't change this overnight; only habit can return my soul to a heavenly-minded state. I can, however, just shut up until I get there. That might be most uncommon of all.

2 comments:

  1. One of your best posts ever. But then, you know I love Atticus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often told your wife that when I was a kid, I wanted Atticus to be my dad. Now, as an adult, I want to marry him (and it only had a bit to do with Gregory Peck's immortal appeal). Thank you for helping me articulate why.

    ReplyDelete