Sunday, February 26, 2012

Desire More

In my last post I discussed how fear of the bad too often drives our motivation, rather than desire for the good. As an extension of motivation, tonight I write about desire.

What do you desire? I think the quickest way to answer that question is by asking another one - what do you pray for? I saw one study that said 90% of Americans pray on a daily basis; so I know that whether or not you and I align well theologically, chances are good that you pray something, sometime. And I think most of us pray for our desires.

So what do you pray for? Comfort? Safety? Success? Lack of conflict? I have. And I do. But the more I've thought about this (especially following a recent sermon in church), the more I'm not sure these are the best desires. Here's why:
  • If I'm completely safe, do I have to trust God for everything? For anything?
  • If I do achieve comfort, what then? What will living a comfortable life gain me? Will I really want to come to the end of my life and have said about me, "Well, at least he lived a comfortable life?"
  • Can I grow in an atmosphere of comfort? Can I learn? More importantly, can I grow closer to God? If I'm safe and comfortable and free of conflict, with nothing left to fight for, where have I put God?
Frankly, where is the adventure in safety? And where is there a larger purpose? Is "Lord, please keep me from harm?" really what I want to be asking for?

In the sermon that sparked some of these notes, the topic was actually what we should be praying for our children. Instead of praying that they'll get into the best schools and only interact with the safest people and that they'll be protected from hurt around every corner, our pastor instead suggested we pray for these three things for our children:

1. That they are put in a position where they need God to excel.

2. That they become missionaries in whatever they do.

3. That their greatest joy in life is found in being satisfied in Christ.

And if I want these for my kids, should I want anything less for myself?

Desire big. Pray bigger. Christian or not, comfort kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment