Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To Whoever Has Been Given Much. . .

My blogging activity in the past month or two hasn't been as productive as I'd like, primarily because I've been working on a final paper for my philosophy course. The paper is now done, and many parts of it are relevant to this blog. One of the parts of the paper asked me to describe 6 philosophies of life that I try to live by. I've decided to post several of these here over the next week or so. They're brief - a couple of paragraphs each - and simply attempt to lay out some of the guiding principles in my life. Hopefully you find the reading worthwhile. . .

Philosophy Position #1: To whoever has been given much, much will be expected.
This axiological (concerned with good and evil, right and wrong, values) statement addresses the question of what is required of me in life. I embrace this phrase. It is a great burden that I carry, but it is one that I am happy to bear. The bottom line here is that for me to engage in “right living,” I must live up to my blessings.

This is a challenge for me, because I have been hugely blessed. Reading and education have always come easy to me. Frankly, I rarely have had to struggle in any educational setting. Also, I was given a safe upbringing with two parents who loved me, supported me, and challenged me. I have been given a loving, sacrificial wife who I met early in life. Trouble has avoided me, not necessarily because I’m a “good person” but because I’ve never been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was born passionate and competitive, and I have been spared a great deal of pain my life. Other than with Costa Rican coffee and Nutty Bars, I’ve never struggled with addiction. I’ve always been surrounded by good friends, challenging mentors, and instruction on God. At this point in my career, I’m financially secure. Life has been good to me.

My morality says that I must, therefore, produce a great deal of fruit in this lifetime. Learning is an obligation (though one I enjoy), because I have the ability. There are others in the world who know less, who have less, who have been loved less. It is my joy and responsibility to improve their lives in some way, to offer what I can. I’ve been given a great wife; I am held accountable for treasuring her every single day. I must help where I can, be who I can, and passionately pursue good. And a great deal of good is in the pursuit itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment