Thursday, October 20, 2011

Simple Commands for the Pursuit of Happiness

In my last post I defended the rich a bit, pointing to their right in our democracy to "the pursuit of happiness." I also said that if they're pursuing it through wealth, it's probably a bad strategy. My experience tells me there is a better way.

While reading the book of Hebrews recently, I began to write down some of the commands for Christians and realized what God is commanding is a list of that which will bring us the most joy. In only one chapter, we get these commands:
  • Keep your lives free from the love of money (v. 5)
  • Be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you. . ." Therefore, what can man do to me? (v. 5-6)
  • Continuously offer a sacrifice of praise (v. 15)
  • Do not forget to do good and share with others (v. 16)
  • Pray for us (i.e. - lose your self-focus and think of the well-being of others) - v. 18
  • Keep on loving each other as brothers (v. 1)
  • For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come (v. 14)
When I consider the times in my life that I've done this, I know that joy has followed. When I am content, not coveting, I am at peace. When I am praising, it is an overflow of my joy and appreciation. Helping others and removing the focus from self is also exceptionally liberating. To be in a community of unity, of shared responsibility, of having each other's back is to truly live as a rich man (see Health Care and Chainsaws). And to be future-oriented, to have my eyes on God and eternity rather than my daily complaints, is to gain the ability to lose my daily complaints.

This is one chapter. Of one book. Of one Testament.

Despite it's misuse by many, the Bible was created for our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment