Monday, July 4, 2011

Drills From a Former Off-Season

While rifling through old files searching for a document the other day, I came across some notes I took several years ago from the book The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg. The notes are on spiritual disciplines, and an immediate connection came to me regarding these notes and recent posts of mine on this blog.

First, I recently extolled the virtues of spiritual disciplines, comparing them to ball-handling drills in basketball that even the most experienced and talented players still complete. Secondly, I recently wrote about the importance of using the off-seasons of life to prepare for "game days" when there is no time to prepare. I am currently right smack dab in the middle of a game day as I move from June (umpiring and basketball month) to July (grad school month). I've begun a class that I'm growing to hate more and more by the day and that is demanding about 3-4 hours a day. I need the reminders from these notes. I did the heavy lifting by reading the book and taking notes many years ago. I need to use that preparation now to be effective in a time when I can't really "train."

I've decided the next few posts, then, will be some of these notes. It will help me use my prior training, and hopefully it will encourage many of you as well. I begin today with some notes about spiritual disciplines themselves:

1. Learning to think, feel, and act like Jesus is at least as demanding as learning to run a marathon or playing the piano. We must, therefore, train like it is.

2. Spiritual disciplines are not:
  • a barometer of spirituality or a way to earn favor with God
  • necessarily unpleasant
3. Definition of discipline: any activity I can do by direct effort that will help me do what I cannot now do by direct effort.

4. Definition of a disciplined person: someone who can do the right thing at the right time in the right way with the right spirit.

5. "A disciplined follower of Jesus is someone who discerns when laughter, gentleness, silence, healing words, or prophetic indignation is called for, and offers it promptly, effectively, and lovingly."

No comments:

Post a Comment