Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Size Matters

I used a word the other night that I have no business using. In a discussion with my wife about some people who are important to us, I described their situation as "hopeless." The use of that one word alone was as big a sign as any of a disconnect with God.

How big is my faith? In this case my faith, or my picture of God, was quite small. To use the word "hopeless" is to imply that this problem is too big for God, that not even the Sovereign Being of the universe can change that circumstance. Oh ye of little faith. . .

The size of prayer matters, and I've decided that I must go big. I simply don't pray big enough, and that could be a sign of not believing big enough. Do I believe God is limited? Do I believe that God is only capable of actions that I can fathom, or that I can see myself or others accomplishing on their own? My use of the term "hopeless" would imply that to be true.

Last night I began to pray big. I prayed for many "hopeless" circumstances and relationships and souls. I prayed for them, and I believed God capable of them. God will choose whether or not to give me what I've asked. I'm not so naive that I see God as my own personal Santa Claus who will perform miracles for my individual comfort and entertainment. Realistically, I don't believe that all of the "big" things I've requested will happen in my lifetime. But that's has more to do with my lack of faith in my own limited knowledge of what's good, and less to do with the power I attribute to God.

If God is big, I don't have to worry about relying on my own shortcomings (or those of others). If God isn't, what am I doing worshipping him?

Actions reflect beliefs. Prayer is an action. And in this case, size says it all.

3 comments:

  1. It'd be nice to be loved by God again... *sigh* But He turned His back on me long ago. I'm jealous. Now I wander so lonely through the cold darkness that comes without his mercy.

    ~Annalissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to Annalissa:

    I'm not sure that God created humanity or sacrificed his Son so that he could rush to turn his back on people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete